Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Remodel Day 139 - 6/21/2011

No work today - the crews that will continue the drywall/taping/mudding process will resume tomorrow.  But for now we need to settle on the final cabinetry color and flooring.   It's impossible to choose these things from a picture, or at least it is for me.

So Tom and I headed out today, with a list of vendors in hand.  First we went to Home Depot to check on the door samples for the cabinets.  We went with Thomasville as the manufacturer. 

Here is what we chose.
(Except the door inside panel is a square, not rounded.)


Then we headed out to another flooring vendor.  There name was Amigos Flooring.  I was very impressed.  They had a large selection and great customer service. 

Here is what we chose for the floors.

We got off track a little at our stop at Home Depot.  We noticed this display of granite edging samples.  I've been debating about how to have the slab cut.  I like the more elaborate edging, but I think it will be a place to collect all of the food smears that will certainly ensue once we begin using the kitchen and eating at the island.  But then again the plain rounded bullnose edging seemed boring.  Then these two caught my eye.  They seemed to be a good compromise between the rounded edge and a more intricate edge.  I'm going to have to put a pin in this and investigate some more later.


And finally we made one more pass back to the granite yard.  The one in Pacoima called San Fernando Marble and Granite.  I have to say they have a fantastic selection, but their customer service........um how do you say it.......SUCKS.  Yes, that's the word, they suck.  With that said I called my friend Amy Jensen who was just recently on her own quest to manage a remodel, school, sports and four children.  She is my soul mate and I asked her for advice.  She recommended another granite yard to look at so hopefully soon I will head out to Southland Stone and continue my search.  But for now, I'm pretty settled on the slab below called Typhoon Bordeaux.  I like that it has another color in it, but I'm trying to figure out whether or not it has too much gray in it.













No comments: