Pages

Monday, January 5, 2009

Pot Roast

I'm making pot roast.

I've decided after two weeks of Chrismas vacation with my kids eating enough fat, salt and sugar to kill a large horse, we need to get back on track and eat a healthy meal. But.....I'm remembering the conversation around the dinner table the last time I made pot roast. It went something like this:

Emily: What is THAT?!?!?!

Me: It's pot roast - it's good, really - give it a try.

Emily: Eeeeeewwwwwww!!!! It smells bad. Can I eat something else?

She is followed by a chorus of her followers .......
(for those that don't know me - Jessie, Catie and Henry - yes even Henry who is only 2)

Chorus: Eeeeewwwwwww!!!!! It smells bad!!

Me: If you can't say something nice, you may leave the table. But this is what we're having for dinner.

Emily: Is this dog food? It smells like dog food.

(OK - now would I serve my family dog food? Is that a reasonable question? Why am I expecting reason from an 8 year old? We don't even have a dog! Why would there be dog food in our house?.... I should just take them through the McDonald's drive through and give up.....but I digress - back to the blog entry)

Me: No - it's not dog food. Take one bite.

At this point my husband chimes in - trying to support my efforts.

Tom: OK guys, let's eat up. Mom worked hard to make you a good dinner.

Emily takes one tentative bite.

Emily: Hey. This good! Can I have some more?
(She proceeds to eat her dinner.)

At the end of the meal my husband says his usual "Thank you for dinner - it was delicious."


Yes, seriously he says this after every meal - whatever I cook for him. He learned these good manners from his father. I'm hoping he will pass these onto Henry. Why don't I remember these nice things that he says - instead of picking on all of the things he does that annoy me?

So what is my **"Cupcake's lesson learned" from this post?
Sometimes I should enjoy the journey - bumps and all - because things seem to all work out in the end.

**To be explained in a future post. The twins just got home from Kindergarten and I need to make lunch.





1 comment:

Cindy Faith Swain said...

Nice story telling - I can relate. Can't wait to see you tomorrow night! Have you been sitting up straight?